I am an Assistant Professor in Sociology at Columbia University and a member of the Data Science Institute. I use causal inference and machine learning methods to conduct research on urban inequality, violence, and public health. My work has been published in the American Sociological Review, Child Development, Demography, the Journal of Urban Economics, and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, among other peer-reviewed journals. Findings from my research have been featured in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and Bloomberg. I received my PhD in Sociology from New York University in 2019, a Master’s in Public Policy from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government in 2014, and a BS in Engineering from the Polytechnic University of Catalonia in 2004. Before graduate school, I was a firefighter at Barcelona Fire Department from 2007 to 2011. In my free time, I enjoy running, cycling, and hiking.
• 10-2021: The study “The EmpaTeach Intervention for Reducing Physical Violence from Teachers to Students in Nyarugusu Refugee Camp: A Cluster-Randomised Controlled Trial,” co-authored with researchers from the Behavioral Insights Team, the International Rescue Committee, and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, has been published in PLoS Medicine.
• 02-2021: My article “Using Machine Learning to Estimate the Effect of Racial Segregation on COVID-19 Mortality in the United States” has been published at the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
• 07-2020: I started as an Assistant Professor in Sociology at Columbia University.
• 01-2020: My article “Crime and Inequality in Academic Achievement Across School Districts in the United States” has been published in Demography.
• 07-2019: I started as a postdoctoral researcher at Columbia University’s Data Science Institute.
PLoS Medicine, 2021 (with Camilla Fabbri, Katherine Rodrigues, Baptiste Leurent, Elizabeth Allen, Mary Qiu, Martin Zuakulu, Dennis Nombo, Michael Kaemingk, Alexandra De Filippo, Elizabeth Shayo, Vivien Barongo, Giulia Greco, Wietse Tol, and Karen M. Devries)
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2021
Eastern Economic Journal, 2020 (with Ingrid Ellen)
Journal of Housing Economics, 2019 (with Ingrid Ellen and Michael Suher)
Housing Policy Debate, 2019 (with Ingrid Ellen)
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2018 (with Laia Balcells)
Child Development, 2018 (with Jennifer Heissel, Patrick Sharkey, Kathryn Grant, and Emma Adam)
American Sociological Review, 2017 (with Patrick Sharkey and Delaram Takyar)